Responsible for project design and/or technical development of multiple assigned projects working under minimum supervision of a Director or Principal. Oversees the entire project team on medium to large sized projects or significant parts of a multi-component project or particularly complex assignment. Project role may principally be design or technically focused, or both, depending on the size, complexity and capabilities of the individual.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Organizes the work efforts of SCB’s project team on a day to day basis and functions as the primary facilitator of communication between the in-house team and out-of-house consultants.
- Directs and supervises work of junior level staff in preparation of drawings, studies, specifications, models and other project tasks.
- Contributes to formulation of project design philosophy and adheres strictly to this philosophy in the execution of the work and in assignments to junior staff.
- Communicates with project team and outside parties regarding specific tasks and / or project related questions and documents the outcome of those communications.
- Prepares the project work plan in conjunction with senior team leaders including the timing and format of drawings, mockups, schedules, data summaries and specifications or descriptions.
- Prepares design and technical drawings and solutions to complex architectural and interdisciplinary problems.
- Develops and checks designs and details, coordinates work with others on project team and with outside project consultants.
- Researches and promotes opportunities for new or innovative work system applications. Actively looks for and implements techniques to improve quality of work and efficiency.
- Represents SCB during construction phase. Reviews submittals and shop drawings, prepares supplemental architectural instructions to contractor, responds to contractor’s requests for information, and maintains logs of receipt and transmittal of same.
- Confers with client representatives and outside consultants on a continual basis throughout the project, communicates decisions and actions effectively to the project team and documents the outcome.
- Participates in peer review sessions and disseminates information to project team.
- Effectively organizes work efforts and self-monitors time spent on tasks. Implements strategies for correction when tasks take longer than expected or when unexpected impediments to progress occur.
- On a regular basis during the course of the project identifies issues for resolution, informs supervisor and / or related discipline leader of issues and recommended course of action.
- Capable of clear and effective communication with clients and exhibits strong presentation skills.
- Thorough understanding of all project phases of work including programming, space planning, color and material selections, FF&E selections, schematic design, design development, construction documents and construction contract administration.
- Promotes a positive team effort by cooperative and interactive working methods and sets a high example of professionalism and leadership for junior staff.
- Functions as a team leader fostering good communication between all parties. Must recognize when to ask questions of senior firm members but strive to keep the work efforts of younger staff focused and efficient.
- Assumes a mentoring role for younger staff and is willing to share knowledge and expertise.
- Encourages and mentors development of junior level staff.
- Exhibits a results-oriented attitude and takes initiative toward all aspects of the project assignment.
- Exhibits a thorough understanding of SCB’s office standards and procedures, CAD/Revit standards working drawing and other drawing standards, participates in refining standards, implements accordingly and checks for conformance by the project team.
- Exhibits working knowledge of the Owner / Architect agreement, project schedule, and project budget parameters and directs work activities to be in conformance.
- Exhibits thorough understanding of building code, accessibility regulations, and other regulatory requirements as they relate to the project and checks documents for compliance. Conducts conferences with regulatory officials and prepares strategies to address interpretative issues related to building regulations.
Performs Other Duties as Assigned
- Participates in Studio and Firm events.
- Actively participates in firm wide initiatives to improve quality and promote a positive work environment.
- Attends Industry Events and participates in Juries.
- Develops expertise through research and innovations in the industry.
- Professional degree in Interior Design, Architecture or related field.
- A minimum of 10 years post graduate, progressively responsible work experience.
- Proficient in AutoCAD/Revit drafting and graphic software programs, Microsoft Office programs and Adobe Illustrator programs.
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills.
- NCIDQ Certificate Holder, Registered Interior Designer, Licensed Architect, LEED AP