Responsible for design or technical management of one or more projects working under minimum supervision of a Principal. Oversees the entire project team including out-of-house consultants on one or more medium to large sized projects. Project role may principally be design or technology / management focused depending on the capabilities of the individual.
A Senior Architect represents the Firm’s interests through effective project leadership and actions that advance the Firm’s mission and business interests. The Senior Architect speaks for the Firm and conducts him/herself in a manner commensurate with a senior position in the organization. Responsibilities and expectations of the Senior Architect extend beyond project focused tasks.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Organizes the work efforts of SCB’s project team on a day to day basis and functions as the primary facilitator of communication with the Client and other members of the project team
- Is integral in the formulation of project design philosophy and adheres strictly to this philosophy in the execution of the work and in assignments to junior staff. Recognizes the qualitative goals set forth for each project and works toward achieving these goals while balancing design, technical and business objectives.
- Establishes detailed work plans to meet project milestones and continually monitors progress. Monitors the time spent by staff at all levels during all project phases and modifies the project work plan to conform with the fee, budget and schedule, or takes other action to correct situations where tasks extend beyond the project fee, budget and/or schedule.
- Directs and supervises work of junior level staff in preparation of drawings, studies, models and other project tasks. Mentors and trains junior staff in a constructive and thoughtful manner.
- Actively monitor progress, identifies issues for resolution, develops strategies for presentation to client, informs Principal in Charge and / or related discipline leader of issues and recommended course of action.
- Exhibits thorough understanding of complex building materials and systems, details and construction techniques, primary structural and MEPFP systems and their operation, and secondary building systems.
- Exhibits thorough understanding of zoning, building code, and other regulatory requirements as they relate to the project and checks documents for compliance. Conducts conferences with regulatory officials and prepares strategies to address interpretative issues related to building regulations.
- Initiates the development of design solutions and details, checks the work of junior team members, and coordinates work with others on the project team and with outside project consultants.
- When applicable, prepares initial fee proposals in conjunction with the Principal – Management and adheres to established scope of services. With participation of a principal negotiates additional services fees with Clients for additions to project scope and / or revised responsibilities.
- Exhibits a thorough knowledge of the Owner / Architect agreement, project schedule, and project budget parameters and organizes work activities to be in conformance. Takes responsibility for rectifying variances from established project goals. With participation of a principal negotiates final Agreements with clients and consultants.
- Manages the financial performance of projects by proper allocation of resources, timely initiation and resolution of critical tasks, and effective decision making.
- When applicable, supervises SCB staff during the construction phase of the project and attends progress review meetings in accordance with the Owner – Architect agreement. Reviews all requests for payment and change order proposals and certifies to Owner.
- Participates in strategic discussion with senior management on issues that affect the Firm’s performance, perception in the marketplace, client satisfaction and profitability.
- Researches and promotes opportunities for new or innovative system applications. Actively looks for and implements techniques to improve quality of work and efficiency.
- Confers with client representatives and outside consultants on a continual basis throughout the project and communicates decisions and actions effectively to the project team.
- Exhibits a thorough understanding of SCB’s office standards and procedures, CAD standards working drawing and other drawing standards, participates in refining standards, implements accordingly and checks for conformance by the project team.
- Schedules peer review sessions with the QA team, participates in review sessions, and disseminates information to the project team. Adheres to the SCB project phase checklist and takes necessary steps to obtain required information in a timely manner.
- Communicates lessons learned on projects with all members of the SCB team.
- Emphasizes a customer / client focus in line with SCB’s mission statement and corporate policies.
- Performs work and promotes initiatives to strengthen the firm’s corporate health.
- Promotes a positive team effort by cooperative and interactive working methods and sets a high example of professionalism and leadership for junior staff.
- Exhibits a results oriented attitude and takes initiative toward all aspects of the project assignment. Is decisive and takes responsibility for actions.
- Encourages, mentors and trains junior staff in a construction and thoughtful manner.
- Must be a capable leader with an authoritative manner, but willing to listen to others and use input from all sources available. Confronts inadequate performance in a constructive way and is willing to share personal knowledge to train younger staff.
Senior Architect – Design Role
- Works independently under the supervision of a Principal to prepare conceptual solutions to Client programs.
- Exhibits an innovative and creative spirit in all assignments.
- Develops and articulates a rationale for design concepts and explain them to clients and others.
- Elicits reactions to design proposals and guide discussion / comments toward agreement.
- Directs younger staff in the development of design solutions at early stages and during later stages of design refinement.
Senior Architect – Management Role
- Works independently with supervision of the Managing Principal to manage the design process from conceptual design through construction phases.
- Responsible for formulating work plans including staff projections, schedules and meetings.
- Prepares agendas, assembles the proper individuals for effective decision making, and conducts meetings as needed to facilitate progress.
- Responsible for financial monitoring of projects, including review of invoices, receivables collection, and scope compliance.
- 5 or 6 year accredited professional degree in architecture
- A minimum of 10 years post graduate, progressively responsible work experience
- Licensed Architect
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, and Revit drawing programs, and graphic illustration software programs such as 3D Studio Max, and Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and In-Design preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Project. Proficiency with New Forma preferred.
- Highly developed aesthetic sense in the use of materials, color, form, texture, proportion, composition
- Working knowledge of zoning ordinances and the process by which design solutions are quantified, illustrated and explained to approval authorities
- Working knowledge of AIA standard contracts and customary scope of services and standard of care provided by architectural firms
- Appreciation for aesthetic objectives set forth in the design approach and commitment to implement these through construction
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of individuals including clients, consultants, code officials and construction trades
- Displays technical knowledge of building systems, material assemblies, and engineering concepts
- Take charge attitude though respectful of others contributions to the project
- Ability to direct younger staff at all project stages
- Professional manner and reputation for fair and consistent business dealings with all parties
- Command of business management tools including Microsoft Project, Excel, and Outlook
- Outgoing personality, interested in working with people
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven leadership abilities and mature judgment
Perform Other Duties as Assigned
The above constitutes a general description of the Senior Architect I job duties as of the publication date. SCB reserves the right to alter job duties and assignments and to assign additional and/or alternative duties from time to time in its sole discretion.