The Director of Business Development is responsible for developing and executing the firm’s overall strategy for identifying, assessing, and securing new business opportunities in the Bay Area’s commercial office market sector. In particular, focus on commercial interiors and architecture opportunities to foster the growth of these sectors for the San Francisco Office.
Reporting to the Executive Director of the San Francisco Office, the Director focuses on building new and maintaining existing client relationships and marketing the firm’s expertise. This is a role that is seen as eventually broadening to include other target markets of the San Francisco office, based on success and/or opportunity.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Together with Executive Director of the San Francisco Office, lead firm’s business development strategy, initiatives, and outreach for west coast market
- Create annual west coast market business development, marketing and PR plan – in collaboration with the Executive Director of the San Francisco Office, individual Sector Leaders and Director of Marketing
- Identify, research and cultivate relationships with prospective clients
- Steward existing client and consultant relationships
- Maintain master Prospect File- including names, roles and contact information, interests and potential opportunities, and tracking of all communications and outreach
- Coordinate business development efforts, under the direction of the Executive Director, of Principals firm-wide with regard to west coast contacts and outreach
- Coordinate go/no-go decision process with Executive Director of the San Francisco office, Sector Leaders, and Director of Marketing taking into account firm’s experience and relationships
- Develop proposal, interview and presentation strategies in collaboration with the marketing department and project team
- Participate in design team formation for pursuits including internal design team, consultants and out of town associate architects, as needed
- Write (as needed), review and edit all west coast proposals
- Attend national and regional conferences, networking events and symposia in support of annual business development goals
- Keep up-to-date with trends, challenges, and news in the market and across sectors
- Working with the Director of Marketing, identify and pursue marketing opportunities including speaking engagements, panel presentations, etc. to promote firm’s practice and thought leadership
- Work with marketing department on creating content including but not limited to project descriptions, trend reports, press materials, and e-communications and web-focused communications
- Conduct client debriefs and relate information back to project team
- Verify and maintain viability of firm references with assistance from Sector Leaders
- Participate in on going office-sector R&D group initiatives
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 5 years’ experience in the local AEC industry.
- Interest in architecture and design.
- Personable, proactive, self-starter that excels at creative and strategic thinking.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Organized with the ability to manage a large network of contacts.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
Perform Other Duties as Assigned
The above constitutes a general description of the Director of Business Development job duties as of the publication date. SCB reserves the right to alter job duties and assignments and to assign additional and/or alternative duties from time to time in its sole discretion.