The Green Building Specialist provides expertise on sustainable design, green building rating systems, green building codes, and energy codes. The Green Building Specialist is a highly collaborative position working with SCB’s sustainability, architecture, and design teams to provide project management of green building certification for SCB projects.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Support project teams with green building certification and green building code technical expertise early in project including checklists and internal/external project meetings.
- Provide project management for green building certifications being performed by SCB, primarily LEED. This includes consultant coordination, construction administration, and regular updates for stakeholders. Other certifications may include WELL, Fitwel, Living Building Challenge, Passive House, and others.
- Provide documentation for green building certification and code compliance on SCB projects, primarily LEED.
- On projects requiring third party green building consultants (primarily GreenPoint Rated, LEED for Homes), provide support to SCB team and documentation when required.
- Develop and maintain expertise on sustainable design and construction as necessary to support project teams. Conduct research and present information (via internal presentations, intranet posts, emails, and memos) to keep SCB educated on green building standards and best practices.
- Monitor changes to zoning and building codes related to green building requirements, energy efficiency, water efficiency, wastewater, stormwater, hazardous materials, renewable energy. Disseminates information to SCB staff when required.
- Assist firm resource librarian with maintaining current information related to building materials, fixtures, and equipment related to material health and transparency. Ensure that SCB staff has access to the latest reference materials.
- Bachelor’s degree (Prefer related field)
- Well-rounded knowledge of green building rating systems, particularly LEED and GreenPoint Rated.
- Familiarity with California state and municipal green building and energy codes.
- Basic understanding of energy modeling (optional)
- Strong understanding of sustainable design principles.
- Excellent speaking and writing skills.
- Familiarity with graphic illustration software programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and In-Design.
Perform Other Duties as Assigned
The above constitutes a general description of the Green Building Specialist’s job duties as of the publication date. SCB reserves the right to alter job duties and assignments and to assign additional and/or alternative duties from time to time in its sole discretion.