We are a boutique interior design studio with a diverse portfolio of award winning projects, including hospitality, workplace, and higher education. As a small team working within the infrastructure of a robust architectural and planning practice, our mission is to create unique, highly crafted interior design experiences for our clients.
Our ideal interior designer /job captain candidate has minimum 5+ years of experience, is organized, passionate about great design and detailing, and excited to work on a diverse range of interiors project types. As a critical component of a project team, a strong design background and solid technical knowledge are key skills. The role requires collaboration with all team members to develop design ideas, preparation of documentation and specification packages, and coordination with consultant teams. SCB has a portfolio of high profile projects, a collaborative and innovative design culture, and strong growth potential within a dynamic team
SCB is an architecture, interior design, and planning firm that practices nationally from offices in Chicago and San Francisco. Since its inception in 1931, SCB has embraced a future-oriented design ethos that places inventiveness and innovation at the firm’s core. We value our people and are committed to personal and professional growth, including mentoring, professional association memberships, licensing examination reimbursement, and a comprehensive benefits program. Our vibrant and diverse office culture embraces bold ideas, knowledge-sharing and collaboration….and we never underestimate the importance of a good happy hour.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Organizes the work efforts of SCB’s project team on a day to day basis and prepares the project work plan in conjunction with senior team leaders including the timing and format of drawings, mockups, schedules, data summaries and specifications or descriptions.
- Directs and supervises work of junior level staff in preparation of drawings, studies, specifications, models and other project tasks.
- Contributes to formulation of project design philosophy and adheres strictly to this philosophy in the execution of the work and in assignments to junior staff.
- Represents SCB during construction phase. Reviews submittals and shop drawings, prepares supplemental architectural instructions to contractor, responds to contractor’s requests for information, and maintains logs of receipt and transmittal of same.
- Confers with client representatives and outside consultants on a continual basis throughout the project, communicates decisions and actions effectively to the project team and documents the outcome.
- Clear and effective communication with clients and team members
- A creative person with strong graphic, organizational, and communication skills
- Thorough understanding of all project phases of work including programming, space planning, color and material selections, FF&E selections, schematic design, design development, construction documents and construction contract administration.
- Promotes a positive team effort by cooperative and interactive working methods and sets a high example of professionalism, leadership, and mentorship for junior staff.
- Exhibits thorough understanding of building code, accessibility regulations, and other regulatory requirements as they relate to the project and checks documents for compliance.
- Conducts conferences with regulatory officials and prepares strategies to address interpretative issues related to building regulations.
Performs Other Duties as Assigned
- Participates in Studio and Firm events.
- Actively participates in firm wide initiatives to improve quality and promote a positive work environment.
- Attends Industry Events and participates in Juries.
- Professional degree in Interior Design, Architecture or related field.
- A minimum of 5 years post graduate, progressively responsible work experience.
- Proficient in AutoCAD/Revit drafting and graphic software programs, Microsoft Office programs and Adobe Illustrator programs.
- Pursuance or completion of NCIDQ Certificate, Registered Interior Designer, Architectural License, LEED AP