This is an opportunity to lead the development and implementation of all marketing related communications for SCB. The Marketing and Communications Specialist is an in-person role based in our Chicago office and is an opportunity for a creative and organized strategic thinker who enjoys writing, has a passion for architecture and design, and is a natural collaborator. Working in conjunction with the Marketing and Communications Director, you will be the steward of the SCB brand, and the applications in which it is used.
Detailed Role Description
The Marketing and Communications Specialist (MCS) is an integral member of the Marketing Department, primarily focused on communications and pursuit messaging. The MCS thinks creatively and strategically to develop and execute visionary content ideas that elevate the SCB brand and set us apart in the industry. The MCS oversees written content for pursuits across all firm sectors, including RFP/Q submittals and interview materials. Additionally, they manage the firm’s website, digital content, and award submittals. The MCS works closely with our Director of Marketing on developing key messaging, supporting PR efforts, and identifying opportunities for further firm/brand exposure.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Key Messaging/Project Related Materials
- Create firm-wide and sector-specific messaging with principal leadership and ensure consistency and use across all communications efforts.
- Create comprehensive annual communications strategy and work plan that outlines strategic content initiatives and goals.
- Compile and maintain firm-wide contact lists with marketing team.
- Lead the development of captivating and meaningful storytelling initiatives that highlight SCB projects, innovation and impact. Collaborate with leadership to uncover and communicate compelling narratives that resonate with our audience for use on digital channels and print media.
- Provide guidance in proposal, interview, and presentation strategies in collaboration with sector leaders/Principal-in-charge, business development directors, and marketing department to ensure strength and relevance of message.
- Collaborate with the Director of Marketing to develop content strategy that reflects the broader SCB brand vision and goals (architecture, planning, interior and urban design) for use across multiple mediums (web, e-communications, press, etc.).
- Oversee the development of a content calendar to maintain consistent and strategic digital presence in line with the brand’s narrative.
- Implement SEO strategies and monitor digital performance metrics to optimize online brand presence. Work with design teams to craft all project-related materials (project pages, resume listings, web postings, etc.).
- Maintain firm’s brand standards book.
Proposal and Presentation Content
- Provide written materials for RFP/Q pursuits. Participate in creation of differentiating strategies and content together with marketing production team and design team leadership.
- Attend pre-proposal meetings hosted by the client as needed.
- Design and produce proposal, presentation, and any other materials/leave behinds needed for pursuit.
Public Relations/Awards and Speaking Engagements/Social Media
- Manage PR content and cultivate relationships with media outlets, journalists, and industry influences to amplify the SCB brand. Identify area for press coverage and coordinate media interviews and features that align with our brand story.
- Research and identify relevant industry awards and recognition opportunities. With marketing coordination support, prepare and submit award nominations.
- Track local and national conference presentations, sessions, and speaking opportunities to help further the firm’s brand and marketing goals and write, edit, and submit session proposals when appropriate.
- Oversee all social media for the firm, developing and posting content consistently to all channels.
Maximize Firm Exposure
- Serve as an ambassador of the firm at events and identify engagement and exposure opportunities in the local design and civic communities.
- Manage logistics for firm sponsorships, contributions, and event coordination.
- Creative and strategic thinker with extensive knowledge of the AEC industry, terminology, and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 8 years’ experience in marketing/graphics/communications field (AEC industry highly preferred)
- Strong written communication skills. Proficiency with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Microsoft Office.
- Creative, organized, and able to prioritize and deliver in a deadline driven environment.
- Positive attitude, proactive, committed, and able to jump between multiple tasks easily.
- Personal interest in design and knowledge of AEC industry a major plus.