The Paralegal role, under the direction of in-house counsel, is to provide assistance on legal, corporate, operations and compliance matters to in-house legal counsel and all levels of a large architectural and engineering project team including executive leadership and project managers.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Interaction on all legal aspects of the firm’s operations and services including assisting in-house counsel on legal matters relating to general business operations of a design professional services firm
- Creating and maintaining corporate documents, including articles of incorporation or dissolution, stock certificates, merger agreements, and annual reports
- Creating, maintaining and coordinating board resolutions, meeting minutes, corporate meeting books and related documents and materials
- Draft, review and edit contracts including consultant agreements as well as update and maintain standard template forms
- Monitoring compliance with contract terms including the MBE and WBE requirements of a multi-year, multi-billion-dollar project
- Overseeing contract administration processes, including planning, collaboration, negotiation, execution, and amendment to prime agreement and consultant agreements
- Monitor for compliance and if necessary prepare documents to meet regulatory requirements, accessibility laws and regulations, economic disclosure statements, or licensing requirements
- Assist in the preparation and collection of invoicing documents including lien waivers and materials needed to support invoices
- Participate in the development of corporate policies, procedures and ethics and compliance programs, and provide continuing monitoring of same
- Coordinating, documenting and managing the completion of assignments for a legal task group comprised of the representatives of the corporate ownership of a single purpose entity on a multi-year, multi-billion-dollar project
- Participate in regular meetings of legal task group or larger planning groups and document such meetings
- Receive and coordinate responses to legal questions or issues that arise during a multi-year, multi-billion-dollar project
- Performing legal research, as needed
- Assisting in the management of legal matters handled by outside counsel
- Meet with firm or team leadership regarding the management of risk including governance, enterprise risk management, insurance, and professional liability
- Bachelor’s degree and paralegal certificate required from an ABA accredited institution
- Three to seven years of professional experience with some experience in general corporate law preferred
- Experience as a paralegal working with or for a corporation or a business entity preferred
- Relevant experience with design professional services such as architects and engineers as well as construction, real estate development, or land use matters
- Working knowledge of AIA or other industry standard contracts and customary scope of services and standard of care provided by design professional firms
- Excellent writing skills with a demonstrated ability to prepare succinct written communication
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills with ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities and complete work in a timely and accurate manner
- Exceptional client service skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, depending on shifting priorities and needs.
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills with the ability and desire to work effectively in a team environment.
- Notary preferred but not necessary
- Proficient in MS Office products, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Perform Other Duties as Assigned
The above constitutes a general description of the Paralegal job duties as of the publication date. SCB reserves the right to alter job duties and assignments and to assign additional and/or alternative duties from time to time in its sole discretion.