We are a boutique interior design studio with a diverse portfolio of award-winning projects, including hospitality, workplace, and higher education. As an interiors team working within the infrastructure of a robust architectural and planning practice, our mission is to create unique, highly crafted interior design experiences for our clients.
Our ideal Project Architect candidate has 12 + years of industry experience with a minimum of 5 years specifically in an Interior Design Studio as a Project Architect (Corporate, Multi-Family Residential, Hospitality preferred). The candidate should be licensed or accredited in the Interior Design or Architectural profession. The Project Architect is the primary team leader during the document production stages and not only participates in the documentation effort, but also directs the project team members and consultants. The candidate needs to be organized, a good communicator, have extensive consultant interface experience, and be eager to take on the challenges of executing multiple, complex Interior Design projects in a variety of sectors. An understanding of code and constructability are paramount to the PA executing a successful set of contract documents. SCB provides a team environment that assigns a senior Interior Designer and seasoned Project Manager to every job , and supplements with junior staff as required. We can offer high profile project work, a collaborative and innovative design culture, and strong growth potential within a dynamic team environment.
SCB is an architecture, interior design, and planning firm that practices nationally from offices in Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, and Seattle. Since its inception in 1931, SCB has embraced a future-oriented design ethos that places inventiveness and innovation at the firm’s core. We value our people and are committed to personal and professional growth, including mentoring, professional association memberships, and licensing examination reimbursement, and a comprehensive benefits program. Our vibrant and diverse office culture embraces bold ideas, knowledge-sharing, and collaboration….and we never underestimate the importance of a good happy hour.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the senior designer and project manager, provides input to a production schedule of the phase deliverables, is involved in code analysis and due diligence, creates a cartoon set and general direction for the Contract Documents deliverable.
- Primary coordinator of consultant work, communicates regularly with consultant teams and schedules work sessions, resolves issues, and informs the Project Manager and associated leadership when there are significant issues that are not regularly resolved.
- Works with the design team to ensure the design direction is captured with regards to constructability and is documented appropriately.
- Oversees and participates in the technical development of the design and construction documents and edits the project manual and specifications as necessary.
- Knowledgeable about every aspect of the documents set and can respond to questions from the client, contractor, building officials and others.
- Follows SCB standards with regards to QA and QC protocols.
- Exhibits an understanding of building code, accessibility regulations, and other regulatory requirements as they relate to the project. Applies and executes on the project.
- Responsible for assembling documents and applications for permit submittals in the format required by the local jurisdiction and responds to building official comments.
- Attends OAC meetings, reviews contractor submittals, responds to RFIs, issues supplemental instructions, performs periodic site observation and prepares site observation reports. Participates in punch lists and project closeout requirements.
- Possesses excellent software skills in Revit and is proficient with Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Clear and effective communication with clients and team members
- A technical and detail-oriented person with excellent detailing skills
- Thorough understanding of all project phases of work including programming, space planning, FF&E process and procurement, schematic design, design development, construction documents and construction contract administration.
- Promotes a positive team effort by cooperative and interactive working methods and sets a high example of professionalism, leadership, and mentorship for junior staff.
Performs Other Duties as Assigned
- Attends Industry and Business Development Events.
- Develops Studio events to promote staff education.
- Participates in Studio and Firm events.
- Professional degree in Interior Design, Architecture, or related field.
- A minimum of 12 years post graduate, full-time working experience.
- Highly proficient in drafting software programs– specifically Revit
- Professional accreditation required – NCIDQ Certification, Registered Interior Designer, Licensed Architect, LEED AP
SCB collects personal information (PI) provided to it by individuals including, but not limited to, names, addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers. The PI is primarily used for the purpose of maintaining contact with individuals or businesses. The PI, if disclosed outside of SCB, is only typical contact information and may be shared with individuals or other businesses in the ordinary course of SCB’s services (e.g. a client requests the contact information of a consultant). SCB does not sell nor offer to sell PI. You are allowed access to your PI and SCB will provide you a copy of the information upon request by calling our office numbers or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You may request that your PI be deleted, however SCB may need to retain some information when necessary, for example to meet a separate legal obligation.