SCB is an award winning multi-disciplinary design firm with a national presence from offices in Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, and Seattle. We are looking to bring on board a Senior Project Architect to join our San Francisco team.
SCB’s San Francisco office, now 13 years young, has that distinctive California vibe. Chill, hip, and a little bit funky, our growing San Francisco family includes Chicago transplants, West Coast natives, and everyone in between. Best of all, we still have the local flair of an architectural start-up, backed by a well-established ninety-year practice.
We are looking for a creative, passionate, and driven design professional to work on commercial mixed use projects up and down the West Coast, and in Hawaii. You’ll work with a team of talented and collaborative professionals to coordinate and direct internal project teams, and coordinate with external consultants and contractors on large-scale projects. We are seeking individuals to represent SCB’s mission and business interests in all phases of our work, and to help mentor and grow our younger staff. If you have the desire and the skills, we have the place for you to put them to work and grow your career.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Organizes the work efforts of SCB’s project team on a day to day basis and functions as the primary facilitator of communication with the Client and other members of the project team
- Is integral in the formulation of project design philosophy and adheres strictly to this philosophy in the execution of the work and in assignments to junior staff.
- Recognizes the qualitative goals set forth for each project and works toward achieving these goals while balancing design, technical and business objectives.
- Establishes detailed work plans to meet project milestones and continually monitors progress.
- Directs and supervises work of junior level staff in preparation of drawings, studies, models and other project tasks. Mentors and trains junior staff in a constructive and thoughtful manner.
- Exhibits thorough understanding of complex building materials and systems, details and construction techniques, primary structural and MEPFP systems and their operation, and secondary building systems.
- Exhibits thorough understanding of zoning, building code, and other regulatory requirements as they relate to the project and checks documents for compliance.
- Conducts conferences with regulatory officials and prepares strategies to address interpretative issues related to building regulations.
- Participates in strategic discussion with senior management on issues that affect the Firm’s performance, perception in the marketplace, client satisfaction and profitability.
- Researches and promotes opportunities for new or innovative system applications. Actively looks for and implements techniques to improve quality of work and efficiency.
- Promotes a positive team environment with cooperative and interactive working methods and sets a high example of professionalism and leadership for junior staff.
Essential Skills and Attributes
- 5 or 6-year accredited professional degree in architecture.
- 10+ years’ experience on large scale, multi-disciplined projects. License preferred.
- Proficiency with Revit and familiarity with graphic illustration software programs such as 3D Studio Max, and Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and In-Design preferred. Proficiency with New Forma preferred.
- Highly developed aesthetic sense in the use of materials, color, form, texture, proportion, composition
- Working knowledge of zoning ordinances and the process by which design solutions are quantified, illustrated and explained to approval authority’s ability to work effectively with a variety of individuals including clients, consultants, code officials and construction trades
- Displays technical knowledge of building systems, material assemblies, and engineering concepts
- Ability to take charge and respectfully direct younger staff at all project stages
- Professional manner and reputation for fair and consistent business dealings with all parties
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven leadership abilities and mature judgment
Perform Other Duties as Assigned
SCB reserves the right to alter job duties and assignments and to assign additional and/or alternative duties from time to time in its sole discretion.
SCB collects personal information (“PI”) provided to it by individuals, including, but not limited to, your name, addresses, email address, and phone number. SCB collects PI of businesses and individuals that are not employees primarily for the purposes of maintaining contact with those individuals or businesses. The PI, if disclosed outside of SCB, is only typical contact information and may be shared with individuals or other businesses in the ordinary course of SCB’s services (e.g. a client requests the contact information of a consultant). SCB does not sell nor offer to sell PI. You are allowed access to your PI and SCB will provide you a copy of the information upon request. You can also request that your PI can be deleted but SCB may need to retain some information when necessary, for example to meet a separate legal obligation. You can access your PI or request deletion of your PI by calling our office numbers or emailing SCB at firstname.lastname@example.org.