Develops, writes and prepares high quality technical project specification/document manuals for the firm and contributes to the development of in-house technical initiatives and training. Provides Architects with specification templates, assists with editing specifications. Works with the Resource Librarian to gather and update technical and reference materials for library. Continually develops and exhibits a thorough understanding of complex building materials and systems, details and construction techniques, industry codes and business practices.
The Specifications Writer represents the Firm’s interests in a professional manner through the effective use of ongoing technology and process evolution.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides leadership, vision and management for the specification department.
- Creates and develops a base specification document template to be used by the Firm for all future projects.
- Interacts with consultants and manages the assembly of their specification sections with the project manual.
- Actively facilitates consultative communication between Project Team, client and consultants through the efficient development of the project specification manuals/documents.
- Assists Architects with technical detail development.
- Provides detailed technical information necessary for the formulation of all project documents.
- Monitors project document progress, provides feedback on open issues presented, and reviews and edits project manuals/specifications.
- Supplements the Library with necessary information (codes, technical information).
- Develop and maintain key note system library and interfaces with the SCB Technology Group.
- Researches and has access to the latest information from manufacturers, state and local code regulations and has a broad knowledge of large commercial, residential, institutional, higher education and transportation projects.
- Exhibits a thorough understanding of SCB’s procedures and drawing standards, participates in refining standards, implements and checks for conformance by the project team
- Actively looks for and implements techniques to improve quality of specification work and efficiency.
- Must be a capable leader, but willing to listen to others and use input from all sources available. Must be willing to share personal knowledge to help train and develop younger staff.
- Communicates lessons learned on projects with all members of the SCB Project Team.
- Develops, prepares and presents technical training courses to the Architects and Interiors staff
- Is a member of and interfaces regularly with the SCB Technology Group
- Is a member of the leading industry associations (AIA, CSI, High Rise Building Council etc), actively participates in all and maintains a leadership role in the applicable group.
- 5 or 6 year accredited professional degree in Architecture
- Licensed Architect
- CSI CCS Certified is preferred
- A minimum of 10 years specifications experience
- Must understand industry related resources including advanced searching of product information.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven leadership abilities and mature judgment
Perform Other Duties as Assigned
The above constitutes a general description of the position’s duties as of the publication date. SCB reserves the right to alter job duties and assignments and to assign additional and/or alternative duties from time to time in its sole discretion.
SCB collects personal information (PI) provided to it by individuals including, but not limited to, names, addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers. The PI is primarily used for the purpose of maintaining contact with individuals or businesses. The PI, if disclosed outside of SCB, is only typical contact information and may be shared with individuals or other businesses in the ordinary course of SCB’s services (e.g. a client requests the contact information of a consultant). SCB does not sell nor offer to sell PI. You are allowed access to your PI and SCB will provide you a copy of the information upon request by calling our office numbers or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You may request that your PI be deleted, however SCB may need to retain some information when necessary, for example to meet a separate legal obligation.