SCB is an award winning multi-disciplinary design firm with a national presence from offices in Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, and Seattle. We are looking to for an Urban Planner to join our Chicago-based team. Infused with our Midwestern roots, our Chicago office is a fast-paced, design oriented, down-to-earth and friendly place to be.
SCB is seeking an enthusiastic and talented planner to join a dynamic team of Urban Planning professionals. This position requires excellent research, communication, organizational, and analytical skills. The ideal candidate should have the ability to meet deadlines, handle multiple projects simultaneously, and enjoy working collaboratively. As an integral member of SCB’s planning team, the ideal candidate will be a key contributor on a variety of planning and design projects throughout the country.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Essential team member on urban design and planning projects and will work collaboratively and directly with planning studio leadership.
- Exhibits understanding of general planning philosophy and methodologies and applies these criteria in work performed.
- Prepares planning research, design and technical drawings, sketches, diagrams, renderings, and 3D modeling as directed.
- Prepares documents, graphic production and coordination using Adobe InDesign, AutoCAD, ArcGIS, Adobe Creative Suites, Sketchup, and other software as appropriate.
- Participates in community outreach, public meetings and communicates internally and with outside parties (consultants, vendors, clients) as needed regarding specific tasks and / or project related questions
- Works effectively in a team atmosphere with a willingness to learn. Always supports the project and studio team constructively.
- A bachelor’s degree in architecture, landscape architecture, urban planning, or related field with a strong focus on urban design and the built environment.
- 3 or more years of urban design, landscape design, master planning, and/or urban planning project experience.
- Strong understanding of fundamental urban planning and design principles and sustainable design practices.
- Demonstrated understanding of urban design and architectural design, including building form, site planning, land use planning, and zoning codes.
- Organized, with high quality written, graphic, and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator), ArcGIS, AutoCAD, and one 3D modeling program (such as Sketch-up or Rhino) required.
- Knowledge of online engagement tools and the ability to prepare simple websites is also desired.
Perform Other Duties as Assigned
The above constitutes a general description of the Urban Planner II job duties as of the publication date. SCB reserves the right to alter job duties and assignments and to assign additional and/or alternative duties from time to time in its sole discretion.
SCB collects personal information (PI) provided to it by individuals including, but not limited to, names, addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers. The PI is primarily used for the purpose of maintaining contact with individuals or businesses. The PI, if disclosed outside of SCB, is only typical contact information and may be shared with individuals or other businesses in the ordinary course of SCB’s services (e.g. a client requests the contact information of a consultant). SCB does not sell nor offer to sell PI. You may request that your PI be deleted, however SCB may need to retain some information when necessary, for example to meet a separate legal obligation.