SCB is currently building its national urban design team’s capabilities in its Boston office. We are seeking a mid-level urban designer who enjoys collaborative work on master planning projects of varying size. The current portfolio of active projects includes small to large sites, located in major urban centers.
The position will include the opportunity to develop professionally through client interaction. SCB’s urban design practice creates industry-leading master plans as stand-alone work product, and is also strongly synergized with our architecture practice, enabling us to also offer clients long-term partnering, including conversion of planning and urban design work to architecture. The opportunity is to work on national and international projects, with exposure to SCB’s deep bench of clients, and to be part of a growing Boston-based team that works collegially to attain excellence. The right candidate will be able to grow as fast as they are able to, and are comfortable with, within the Boston-based urban design group.
Qualifications, Essential Skills/Attributes
- 3-5 years of urban design and documentation/graphic experience, on a range of site sizes.
- The ability to present ideas clearly – internally and externally – through sketches, drawings, diagrams, and concept-level renderings, will be important.
- A graduate degree in urban design is not a requirement, but experience with urban design, as well as passion for master planning, is essential.
- Architecture background (undergraduate, B.Arch., and/or graduate) is preferred, as projects on smaller sites will develop a strong architectural focus early-on.
- Familiarity with Autocad, Rhino and Adobe suite and Office suite is essential.
- Ability to use the Grasshopper plug-in is preferred, but not a requirement.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills will be highly valued, as will the ability to work independently at times (due to leadership travel requirements).
- Ability to carry out some project management tasks will be important (coordinating with consultants, liaising with clients, etc.).
Perform Other Duties as Assigned
The above constitutes a general description of the Urban Designer job duties as of the publication date. SCB reserves the right to alter job duties and assignments and to assign additional and/or alternative duties from time to time in its sole discretion.