2 North Riverside
2 North Riverside Plaza is a 26-story, historic art deco building, originally built in 1929 as the Chicago Daily News Building. SCB was retained by Equity Group Investments/Equity Office Properties to assist with the renovation of the building’s base building lobbies, retail concourse, elevator cabs, and multi-tenant common areas.
2011 Building Design and Construction Magazine Reconstruction Award Special Recognition, Honors
2 North Riverside was the first Chicago structure built with air rights over railroad tracks, and its plaza was the first in the city to be planned as part of an office building. The building’s historical significance prompted it to be added to the “Chicago Seven” list of endangered structures in Chicago in 2008.
The retail concourse connects Riverside Plaza at Madison Street to a pedestrian bridge over Canal Street leading to Ogilvie Transportation Center. Over 40,000 commuters per day use the retail concourse to access the train station. The concourse is lined with shops to serve those commuters. The overall design restores most of the original art deco detailing and replicates this detailing and finishes at new and modified components. HVAC, sprinkler, and life safety systems are being upgraded to better climatize the space and to meet Chicago’s high-rise life safety code requirements. With its renovation, the building is now a historic space that hosts today’s new businesses.