The Walsh Group Headquarters
The new Walsh Group Headquarters is a highly sustainable, adaptive re-use of a former 1908 warehouse building in Chicago's West Loop that represents the construction group’s commitment to environmental responsibility and stewardship.
2012 Building Design + Construction Reconstruction Award Bronze Winner
LEED Platinum Certified
SCB was selected to lead the complete design and renovation of the building. Capitalizing on the existing structure, the designers were able to add a fourth floor, increasing the size of the building to 93,000 square feet. A large central atrium with an operable skylight was added to naturally ventilate the building and bring daylight into the workspaces. The original facade was fully removed and replaced with a new high-performance masonry exterior envelope.
The building is the first in Chicago to utilize SolarDuct solar thermal technology to preheat outdoor air. The occupants enjoy thermal controllability via ceiling fans for open office areas and operable windows for private offices. Rainwater is collected from the roof, and is then filtered and reused to irrigate a the vegetated roof, as well as flush high-efficiency plumbing fixtures, resulting in a reduction of total water use by 40 percent and potable water use by over 70 percent. The project is LEED Platinum certified.
The building achieved the 6th most points of any LEED certified project in the world, and the most points of any project in Chicago at the time of completion.
A central atrium with operable skylights was created on the upper three floors in order to bring day-light into surrounding offices and to act as a means to naturally ventilate the building. An advanced building automation system controls and tracks all elements in the building, allowing easily verified building performance of this LEED Platinum certified facility.